Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Not your average veggie chili


I'm currently in Portland, OR, flexing my childcare and petsitting muscles as I spend the week watching my teenage cousin and her family's menagerie of pets.  Portland is everything that people make it out to be, and more. Bikes are everywhere, probably gettting people from one mobile food cart/coffee shop/brewery to another. Well, that's what I would be doing, in any case.

Right before I left, I saw this recipe for a vegetarian chili with a twist. In a moment of impulse, I pulled out as many items from my pantry as I could find to see whether or not I could whip up a batch before I left. Lo and behold, I had most everything that the recipe called for, so naturally, it was "game on".

What has the recipe inspired? Another vote for the life motto of, "Everything tastes better with peanut butter."

Vegetarian Chili with Peanut ButterAdapted from Serious Eats

20110120-chili-500px.jpg
Photo Source: Serious Eats
Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Two (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tsp chili powder
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
One (12-ounce) can tomato paste
2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter (preferably unsweetened)
One (15-ounce) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained (originally
called for 2 cans of kidney)
One (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
One (15-ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
One (15-ounce) can whole sweet corn, rinsed and drained (used frozen)
4 cups cooked white or brown rice (for serving)
1 cup coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese (for serving)
1 cup chopped scallions (for serving)
Directions:
In large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat until shimmering.
Add onion and garlic and sauté until the onions are translucent, about 4 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes and their liquid, black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, paprika, and red pepper flakes to pot. Let simmer for 5 minutes and then add tomato paste, vegetable stock, and peanut butter.
Stir until tomato paste and peanut butter are well incorporated. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to low and add all beans and corn. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
To serve, place a half cup of rice in large bowl and add two ladles of chili. Top with cheddar cheese and chopped scallions.

No comments:

Post a Comment