Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Avocado and Black Bean...what?

If you thought nothing in this world could be more frustrating than an unripe avocado, try having TWO of those stubborn guys. Like insolent little children, they just sat on the counter in their little green jackets, hard as could be. Normally, I might be a little more patient, willing to coax them along. But I am heading out of town in 24 hours, so it came down to the wire.

Enter: creative uses for avocado.  I’ve used avocado in a quick bread before, but when I saw this recipe, the promise of fudgy, chocolatey goodness (without butter or oil!) won me over. I am a girl, after all.

The word on the reviews, which I am echoing, is that these brownies taste worlds better once they have had a chance to sit and cool, ideally overnight.  Naturally, for the sake of scientific integrity, I had to do taste tests along the way. Right after they came out of the oven, I was underwhelmed. After they’ve chilled all evening, delicious! I’ll have to report back on the “day after” taste test tomorrow.

Temporary verdict: they don't satisfy the same cravings as the most decadent of brownies, but for a heart-healthy way to get your chocolate fix, these are pretty damn good.

Now, it’s time for me to get my little ducks in a row for my impending “lovefest trip”. First stop is in Maryland to celebrate my grandparents’ 70th wedding anniversary. That’s a long time, isn’t it?! After that, I’m going to hop, skip, and jump down to North Carolina for my friends’ wedding. The cup runneth over.
No mixing!

Starting to look like brownies

Brownie success!  Now if only I could learn to operate a camera....


Black Bean & Avocado Brownies
Adapted from Cara’s Cravings

Ingredients:
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
3 eggs
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 ripe avocado
6 tbsp cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1 heaping tsp vanilla
6 tbsp white sugar
2 tsp instant coffee

Directions
Preheat oven to 350.
Grease an 8×8 pan.
Combine the beans, egg, syrup and avocado in the food processor.  Blend until completely smooth.  Add the remaining ingredients and continue to blend until fully combined, scraping once or twice.  Spread batter into pan and bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool completely, preferably overnight.  Cut and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment