Monday, March 26, 2012

Green Curry and Broccoli Soup

Forgive me, friends, for it has been too long since my last post. I could conjure up excuses like a trip to Key West (congratulations to the newlyweds, Sarah and Ben!), or visits from out-of-towners (it was great to see you, Sam, Shelli, and Grace!), or even a glut of holiday celebrations (Kevin and Guida, the St. Patty's Day feast is still making me drool). But it wouldn't be enough, would it? Because it doesn't change the fact that I have left you sans new recipes, a truly egregious sin.

So I humbly ask your forgiveness as I present to you the world's EASIEST and FASTEST soup to make. Did I mention it's easy and fast?

This recipe is based on a soup suggested by dear Gillian (thanks for the recommendation, my friend!). Perfect for that weeknight when you're stomach is already growling before you've even turned on the stove.



Green Curry and Broccoli Soup
Adapted from Stone Soup

8 tablespoons green curry paste (I used the entire contents of the "small" jar)
1 14.5 oz can coconut milk
4 cups water
3 heads broccoli, chopped into florets
2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
5 tablespoons peanut butter

sprinkle of sugar
healthy squeeze of Sriracha
2 cups cooked rice *Optional*

Directions:
1. Heat a large saucepan on a high heat. Add a few tablespoons of cream from the top of the coconut milk or some oil. Stir fry the curry paste for 15-30 seconds or until you notice the aroma. Be careful not to burn.

2. Quickly add the water and the coconut milk. Bring to a simmer.

3. Add broccoli and chicken breasts. Bring back to a simmer and cook uncovered for 8-9 minutes or until the broccoli is tender and chicken is cooked all the way through.

4. Remove from the heat. Stir in the peanut butter. Taste and season with a sprinkle of sugar and as much Sriracha (Asian chili-garlic hot sauce) that your heart desires.

5. * I added in two cups of cooked rice in order to thicken up the soup and make it a little bit heartier. Feel free to omit, if you're looking for a less filling soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment