Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The great pumpkin

I love pumpkin. Savory or sweet. Baked or roasted. Breakfast or dessert. Pumpkin can do no wrong.  If pumpkin were a man, I would have married him yesterday. And if you know me at all, that is a heck of a promise.

That said, the pumpkin onslaught has begun. Exhibit one: Pumpkin Walnut Bread.  Quick and easy to make, with nutty flavor and hints of spice, this bread is a crowd-pleaser. The best part? It uses pumpkin beer!  (Pumpkin beer might have to be my boyfriend-on-the-side of my pumpkin marriage…it also holds a special place in my heart).  I think drinking a pumpkin beer while you’re making this bread really enhances the experience. Don’t want to? In that case, feel free to send them my way!

Pumpkin Spiced Walnut Bread
Adapted from A Cozy Kitchen

3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice
Dash of nutmeg
Dash of cloves
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts.  I’m sure pecans would be great, too)
1 12 oz bottle of Pumpkin Ale (I used Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale…Yum!)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9”x5” loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and all the spices. Stir together until well combined. Stir in the nuts as well. Make a well in the center of the bowl and pour in the beer. The beer will foam up –this is good. Carefully fold the dry ingredients into the center of the well to incorporate. Mix only until just combined – do not over mix or it will destroy the bubbles and the bread will be dense.
3. Pour the dough into loaf pan gently smooth out the top with a spatula. Bake in the oven for 50 – 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the dough comes out clean.
Guess who ate all of her bread before taking the picture?  Yep.  You guessed.  Thank you, Cozy Kitchen, for letting me share this picture!

*This bread is GREAT the day it’s baked, though it tends to dry out quickly in following days.  Solution: eat quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment