Thursday, November 25, 2010

Wegman's to the rescue


 This weekend is the one that I’ve been anticipating for months on end.  Loading up on carbs, resting and relaxing, and a quick 26.2 mile jog around Seattle. That’s right.  I have willingly and knowingly signed up for my very first marathon, and boy oh boy, it came up quickly.  I’m nervous, excited, and most of all, ready to get it over with already!

Lucky for me, my high-carb, low-activity week lined up perfectly with two amazing events: Thanksgiving and snOMG (as my coworker, Lorena, put it, “leave it to the media to make us sound like total teeny bopper wimps.” Well put, Lorena, well put.).  Seattle received an underwhelming 2.5 inches of snow, but the city has been incapacitated for going on 3 days now.  Who’s complaining?  Not this girl.

Logically, the extra rest time should be used for productive things. Like cooking!  And even though I didn’t think I could possibly eat any more butternut squash, on came my lightbulb when I remembered this recipe from Wegman’s from years back.

In a word: yummydeliciouseasyascouldbe.

Tomorrow starts Thanksgiving cookstravaganzathon. On tap for my kitchen: sweet potato rolls and a cranberry-apple crisp.  And I did just happen to buy a 3lb. bag of walnuts, so who knows what other kinds of mischief we can get into!

Happy holiday, everyone!


Butternut Squash with Baby Spinach
Serves 8 as a side, 4 as a main dish

One 3lb. butternut squash, peeled and diced
2 large red onions, chopped or diced
3 tablespoons of olive oil
¼ teaspoon thyme
¼ teaspoon parsley
salt and pepper to taste
6 oz. baby spinach
¾ cup dried cranberries


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Dice squash and onions and mix with olive oil and spices in large bowl.
3. Roast for 55 minutes, or until squash is tender and lightly browned.
4. Remove from oven and toss with spinach and dried cranberries.  Serve warm or room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment