Friday, August 26, 2011

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps

What's a girl to do when the weather cancels her plans? Why, yes, you're right. Find an indoor activity. A crossword puzzle, some terrible reality tv (could they please stop making these shows so that I no longer have to feel guilty for giving in to temptation and watching them?), and a mystery book later, I decided to head back to the kitchen. 

Seriously, I am loving the chance to do all this cooking. I am afraid, however, that my pants are going to endorse it a little bit less. Which means that either the weather needs to improve or some of you are going to need to step up to the plate and come over for dinner!

This chicken dish came together so quickly, I felt like I had to have missed something along the way! If you want to follow in the footsteps of PF Changs, you can serve this concoction inside butter lettuce or iceberg leaves. Since I didn't have any on hand, I just put it over mixed spring greens, and I can't say that I felt like I was missing out!

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps

1 tablespoon of canola oil
1 crown of broccoli, cut into small pieces
4 boneless, skinless chicken cutlets (the thinly sliced variety), diced into small cube-sized pieces
1/2 onion, diced into small pieces
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups of cremini mushrooms, sliced (or any other kind of mushroom you have on hand)
ground ginger, to taste
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1-2 tablespoons Sriracha (use more or less according to your spice preference)
1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 bunch scallions, chopped (white parts only)

Directions:
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add broccoli and saute until it begins to soften. Add the chicken, onions and mushrooms, and saute until chicken is cooked through. 

Sprinkle chicken evenly with ground ginger. Add garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, and sriracha to the chicken mixture and stir. Stir in chopped water chestnuts, scallions, and sesame oil and let simmer for 5 minutes or until mixture seems to thicken a bit and really come together.

Serve over lettuce leaves (or spring mix!).

No comments:

Post a Comment