Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Zucchini-Carrot Bread

You have to love the government. I have a job in our loveliest of capitols, but four weeks post-submission for my security clearance paperwork, I am still not allowed to step foot into our building! Not that I'm complaining - this time has allowed me to nest and explore to my little heart's content.

After an amazingly beautiful bike ride this morning (monuments? check. water? check. ending up where you didn't plan to? check.), I wanted to bake up a little something to keep the summer spirit alive.

This bread has a very unique flavor, due to the lemon zest that you throw in. I'm going to sum this bread up by saying that I've already had two pieces, and it came out of the oven about 10 minutes ago. Enjoy!


Zucchini-Carrot Bread
Adapted from My Recipes

1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Shakes of: allspice, nutmeg, cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1/6 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cups sugar
1 medium shredded zucchini
1 shredded carrot
1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
Cooking spray

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through baking soda) in a large bowl.
Combine eggs next 3 ingredients (through vanilla) in a large bowl; add sugar, stirring until combined. Add zucchini and carrots; stir until well combined. Add flour mixture; stir just until combined. Stir in walnuts.
Pour batter into 9 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean (I would start checking at 50 minutes - mine could have done with a few minutes less baking time). Cool 10 minutes in pans on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment