Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Quinoa Soup with Corn

I think I might have forgotten to mention something with my last post. My "living" has changed a little bit. No, I haven't changed states. Or married a traveling juggler. But I did start a new job! I started last week, and I have to say that it is kind of fun to start a job and feel like you actually know what you're doing. Well, I shouldn't get carried away. I still have no idea what I'm doing. But they think I do. That's half the battle, right?

I am quickly learning that one component of this new job is going to be an increase in my work travel. If that's to a place like, say, Hawaii, that's pretty exciting. If it's to somewhere like where I'm headed tomorrow (Indianapolis), it doesn't quite have the same appeal!

Regardless, knowing that I will be traveling more has motivated me to make a few freezer-ready dishes so that I have some homemade goods in stock for the times I won't have a chance to cook. This soup took less than 30 minutes, start to finish, and is a perfect freezer-ready item. Only change I made was to not add the avocado. Best to save that until you're ready to eat!

Have you ever had quinoa (KEEN-wah)? It's one of my favorite grains. Not only is it delicious, but it's also one of the only non-meat food items that is a complete protein. High in iron and fiber, this little guy is a dynamo. If you're iffy on the taste, I recommend toasting it in a skillet briefly before boiling it in order to give it an almost nutty taste.




Quinoa Soup with Corn
Adapted from The Seattle Times
Serves 4

Ingredients:
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup quinoa
1 can corn kernels
1 green pepper, diced
2/3 cup chunky salsa, to taste
Juice of one lime
1 ripe but firm Hass avocado, diced
Salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:
1) In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat broth over high until it comes to a boil. Add quinoa and green pepper. Drop heat to medium-high. Cook (still boiling) 15 minutes.

2) Add corn and salsa. Stir. When it comes back up to a simmer, kill the heat. Remove the pot from the burner. Add lime juice and avocado. Stir gently. Salt and pepper to taste. Add cilantro. Stir again.

1 comment:

  1. You're back! Also I started a blog. I'm suspicious I'll quit on it in a month but we shall see!

    http://hithertodc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete