Friday, July 5, 2013

Corn Summer Salad

As another curly-haired person once said, "What a long strange trip it's been." (OK, we have more differences than similarities, but that doesn't stop me from making the connection.)

Clearly, I haven't visited the blog in quite some time (though I hope you have!). If I were to tell you it's because it's been the busiest two months of my entire life, you'd think I was exaggerating. I'd think I was exaggerating. I may actually be exaggerating. But let me just gloss over the highlights (LW--this is when you skip to the bottom!).

May 11: Birthday weekend! Nationals game and Mother's Day family fun.

May 17-18: Connecticut for wedding #1: the Piccrillo's!

May 26: MM and I made it official, and we tied the knot for wedding #2! Professional pictures come next weekend, and oh, I cannot wait!


May 27-June 1: Maroma Beach, Mexico for honeymoon. Picture below was our first day, and the overcast skies gave us the perfect excuse to rest up after wedding craziness. Talk about deep sleep. The rest of the week was sunny and heavenly. Something about white sand and clear water that really make life seem beautiful. Unlimited food and bev's may have helped with that, too...


June 4-5: Dallas, Texas. Not pictured because, well, I never left the airport grounds.

June 5-6: Atlanta, Georgia. Not pictured because, well, I got stuck at the airport and had to stay overnight.

June 6-9: Asheville, North Carolina for wedding #3: the Parrott's! I managed to snap only one picture the entire extended weekend, and that was of a certain GPC and I drinking wine out of mustachio'd glasses. Suffice it to say, it was a beautiful weekend.

June 12-14: Keystone, Colorado for a work conference. Could that state be any more beautiful?


June 21-23: Queechee, Vermont for wedding #4: the Boisvert's! This gorge was one of the prettiest sights in the area. I see now why they call VT the "Green Mountain State". Also, I see why people never want to leave here. Coffee, ice cream, beer...oh my!


Showing off the beautiful trunk I snagged at one of the local Vermont antique stores for a steal. I'm not sure yet where I'm going to put it, but it's such a good looking ol' thing that I'm convinced it will give character wherever it winds up!


June 25-26: Miami Beach for work (and for a little sunbathing along the way). If all work trips were like this, I'd be a much bigger fan of work travel!



Which now brings us to July - can you believe it? As celebratory as it was, I'm relieved wedding-stravaganza-2013 has come to a close, and travel is slowing waaaaay down. Which means more time for cooking! 

It feels unfair to even call this a "recipe" because it is SO simple and SO straightforward and SO gosh-darn-stinkin'-addictive. It's a refreshing side or dip for a summer meal, and it's a crowd-pleaser that could not be easier to throw together on your way out the door to your next cookout. We are heading to West Virginia this evening for a week of sun and R&R (can you believe, after all this travel, we're ready for a vacation!). 

This salad was great at last night's July 4th cookout (thank you, A's!), and it's going to make a second appearance in WV this weekend.

Happy belated July 4th!

Corn Summer Salad/Dip
16oz Frozen corn (or 2-3 cups of kernels off the cob)
1/2 large red onion, diced
3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 serrano peppers, seeded and minced
1 can black beans, rinsed
2 avocados, diced
1/4 cup cilantro
Juice from 2-3 limes
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all of the ingredients together and let sit for a few hours to let the flavors meld. Or just go ahead and dig in...no shame in that!

1 comment:

  1. Sharon you look so beautiful and happy on wedding day! I cannot believe how much travel you just squeezed in! Vermont is my very favorite and that trunk you snagged looks great!

    ReplyDelete